Sunday, January 1, 2006

Less than a week away!

We are officially at 5 and a wake up before the chick trip!  I am so excited. 

I am sitting here, after just having returned from my evening run, and I am listening to my dog try and catch her breath.  It amazes me how it takes her so long to get back to herself after we run.  We run almost every day, and you'd swear she'd never run before.  She started becoming very distracted lately when we go running.  She stops and sniffs everything and it's very counter productive when it comes to my run.  I end up having to stop every 30 seconds so she can sniff stuff.  I try and yank her away from whatever it is that got to her nose, but when she digs her heals in, i am stuck.  She's a big girl.  She never used to do it before, and now i end up having to take her for a walk and go for my run separately.   I really enjoy running with her and would prefer to do it that way, but somethings gotta change!  Maybe i will take her to a class at PetSmart.

Speaking of bad things my dog has done lately...a while back I agreed to pet sit the dog of a colleague of mine.  A big drooling lab.  Sweet dog, and i decided to watch her at my house. I figured that Macy would have a playmate for a week.  Well, this other dog had a habit of digging holes in the yard, and Macy picked up on it.  She never dug a single hole before this other dog came along, and now my yard had these 5 massive holes in them.  So this weekend I ended up going to Lowe's and buying five 40-lb bags of dirt to fill in the holes, grass seed, and chicken wire to cover the spots and keep her from digging them up again.  Chicken wire.  What fun.  That is some nasty stuff.  Thank my insight for buying gardening gloves to work with it.  It seems to have done the trick and no more holes have been started, but what a pain.  Since this is my first dog, I really need to figure out how to stop these things.  She is generally very disciplined.  She doesn't bark even when the neighbors dogs are at the fence, scratching and barking their heads off.  I am thankful for that.  She is house trained, comes when called, sits, stays (most of the time), etc.  I need to learn how to teach an old dog new tricks I guess. 

 

No comments: