Sunday, January 22, 2006

It boggles my mind...

I subscribe to Popular Science magazine.  I also subscribe to Natural History.  This is because I am really nothing but a nerd at heart.  I make no apologies for my choice of reading material.  I dig that kind of stuff. 

Tonight I was perusing the latest Pop Sci and I came across an article on this new Mars Rover that is being tested.  It will help in the quest to identify life on the planet.  This 'bot, nicknamed Zoe, can move around on it's own power, and can also be controlled remotely from Earth should it ever loose it's own power or functionality.  This is pretty similar to the current Mars rover.  True, we lost contact with the 'bot that is currently up there a time or two, but we did have some contact with it for long spells.  That being said, tonight I was talking with a friend of mine, Wendy, and using my cordless phone from my kitchen.  As usual, I brought the phone into the den with me, and as usual, it began to lose reception.  And I thought to myself, how is it that we can control a robot on Mars from Earth, but I can't get my reception to work on my cordless phone from the kitchen to my den?   Hmmm??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps if YOU spent 10 billion dollars for your cordless, it might reach all the way to the bathroom...