Sunday, January 18, 2004

Where Am I Going??

So here we are.  Present day, January 18th, 2004.  I have been given a COT start date of August 17th, 2004.  COT (Commissioned Officer Training) takes place at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery Alabama.  It is a 5 week journey that takes you from being a civilian to being an officer in the US Air Force.  I have heard from two people who have been though it already, Laura and her husband Scott, and both say while it is not easy, that it is not as difficult as enlisted basic training was, and that it is very rewarding when it's over.  I have been doing what  I can to prepare physically for COT.  I run every day, (yes folks, that does mean 7 days a week), for 2 miles.  I come home, and do sit ups and push ups as well.   I have also been doing what I can to prepare mentally for COT.  That is always a challenge.  I thought I had done a fairly good job preping myself mentally for basic training 14 years ago.  But I got off the bus and didn't know what hit me, or what KEPT hitting me for that matter, for the next 2 months.   After COT, I will head off to Sheppard AFB, Texas, for HSA (Health Services Administration) school.  I will spend 4 months there learning the tricks of the trade.  After Texas, I have no idea where  I will be going.  I am hoping to find out my assignment this week.  Once I find out my assignment, I will be having my commissioning ceremony as well. 

I have not told the company that I am leaving yet.  Being that I am not going until August, I felt it would be a wasted effort.  It's just too soon.   I have decided to give them a month notice.  I will tell them on May 30th that my last day will be on June 30th.   I will then take the next month and a half to sell my home and prepare myself for COT. 

My next entry will hopefully be letting you know where my assignment will be!  I am hoping for somewhere in the Southeast of the US.  Somewhere warm!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Its interesting to hear about your life! I am going into the Air Force via ROTC here at the university of wyoming. I am excited and am wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors! Take care, Daisytripn

Anonymous said...

I am glad that my entries are visible to others! I had wondered about that. I wish you the best of luck in college and ROTC. Hopefully my entires will get more interseting now that I have finally gotten an offical assignment!

Anonymous said...

I just read your entry and the talk about Basic Training scares me. I'm thinking about joining and the only thing I am concerned about the most is Basic Training. I was wondering how I can prepare for it, but I guess there's not way to really perpare for it at least not to the point that basic would be a breeze. I just want to be able to run 2 miles without feeling light headed and gasping for air. You said something was hitting you? What was hitting you? Please tell me what Basic Training was like for you.