Sunday, January 18, 2004

My options

Here it was, Summer of 2003, and it was obvious to me that I wanted to further my education.  I don't wish to leave this world with anything less than a Masters degree.  But what would I study?  I wasn't thrilled with business (which was my undergrad course of study), because I found it boring.  And being that I was already thousands of dollars in debt from college, I knew that if I was going to continue further into debt, that it was going to be in a different major than business.  Maybe Communications, or Psychology.  Maybe even a science like Biology or Physics.  I found all of these areas anything but boring, even enjoyable.

My mind slowly went back to that conversation with Laura earlier in the year about going back into the military.  I would have to be out of my mind.  Although, I though to myself, the military has great education benefits.  And, I would be going in as an officer instead of enlisted, which is an entirely different world altogether.   But there was much trepidation in my thoughts.  I am not 19 any more.  I am 32. I haven't run in 9 years.  If I did a single pushup, I would probably have a coronary.   After laughing at that thought, and slowly realizing that, even if I wasn't in the military, that was pretty darn pathetic, I went home from work, and decided to go for a casual 2 mile walk.   After my walk, I felt pretty darn good about myself, and decided to do a push-up.  I was sore for the next 2 days.   On day three, I did 2 push-ups and decided to call Laura. 

  

No comments: