Sunday, January 18, 2004

Hurry Up and Wait.

Unlike when a person decideds to join the military as an enlisted member, as an officer, one must jump through hoops.  There were applications, letters of recommendation, tests, GMAT's physicals, multiple interviews, a board review, it just went on and on.  Then you learn that the competition is fierce.  There was something like 400 applicants for 40 slots and I was competing against those with masters degrees already, people younger than me, and those who were currently enlisted.   This part of the process took a full 4 months.  I truly didn't have a clue as to my real chances of being accepted into the military again, but just in case  I was, I kept up with my walking.  The walking turned to running.  The running led to more push-ups and sit ups, and for the first time in many years, I was able to move the clothes I had kept in the 'thin side' of my closet over to the clothes on the 'fat side' of my closet.  Heck, even if I didn't get chosen, this was turning out to be a pretty darn positive experience already.   Truth be told though, I was feeling pretty hopeful about getting accepted.   I think that if I was not selected,  I would acutally be dissapointed. 

No comments: