Monday, March 28, 2011

Things I will and wont miss from deployment

Things I will NOT miss from deployment:

1. Being cold
2. Not having hot water
3. Sporadically having NO water
4. Not being able to go outside for a simple walk
5. Being hungry. Mostly on Sundays.
6. The fear and unknown of being on the roads (terrorists, IEDs, shootings, and idiots who shouldn't be allowed out of their houses at all let alone to operate anything with a motor)
7. The smell. This place smells like a cesspool.
8. The lack of value placed on human life (The It's-ok-if-my-kid-falls-off-my-motorbike-and-dies,-I-have-another-one attitude)
9. Missing home.
10. Pakistani Parasites (I saved this one for last because there was a slight yet significant upside of weight loss that accompanies them).

Things I WILL miss from deployment:

1. The look of the Himalayan foothills after a rain
2. Wearing civilian clothes every day
3. Seeing the occasional monkey hop across the road (yes, I have grown fond of the monkeys)
4. The people I have worked with. Every one of them a true character
5. Working for Special Operations Command.

I was hoping to come up with 10 things I will miss. Not happening. Perhaps later on once I have gotten some time and distance away from here I will be able to think of more. If I do, I will update my list!

1 comment:

DrChako said...

It's always the people you miss most. I think of my battle buddies often.

-Chuck