Sunday, December 21, 2008

6 hours

That is how long I spent talking on the phone last night to my oldest and dearest friend, Cindi. Cindi and I have known each other since we were knee high to a grasshopper (not that either of us really grew much taller than that later on in life). Our friendship has endured for over 30 years, thousands of miles of separation, marriages, deaths, illness, awards, hate and love. She is as close to me as blood.

We talk about 4 or 5 times a month. We email and facebook each other more often. There is always something to talk about. When you are best friends with someone who grew up with you in the same neighborhood, then you are best friends with someone who understands what makes you tick. They knew you 'when'. Before the successes, before the gray hair and extra pounds. They knew you at your best, they knew you at your worst and they love you because of them and in spite of them. They keep your secrets and will take them to the grave.

What could we possibly find to talk about for 6 hours? I have never talked to ANYONE on the phone for 6 hours before. Well, it's amazing what you can talk about for 6 hours. We talked about anything and everything. And almost none of it was reminiscing. It was all new stuff. Of course her and I have our "remember when...?" conversations, but thankfully our friendship goes deeper than that. We truly care about what is going on in the lives of one another. We have the kind of friendship where we each have the other's parents phone numbers on our speed dial.
Our conversation last night was so refreshing and there is no other way I would have wanted to spend a Saturday night if I have to be here without my Eric anyway. I was still excited about our phone call when I finally went to bed at close to 1am.

My father always said if you find one real friend in your whole life, you are a lucky individual. Well I have known for most of our 30 year history that Cindi and I have attained that rare and special status and I am grateful every day of my life for it.

No comments: