Thursday, November 27, 2008

Horse sense and Turkey day

I had a great Thanksgiving. Better than I ever thought possible without my dad, uncle, or Eric here with me.

In an unexpected turn of events, a friend of mine and her boyfriend were heading over to the house of one of the physician's at work. She, in turn, invited me to go with them. So I said sure. All I had planned to do was study anyway. But ya gotta eat, right? So I picked up a couple cases of soda as my contribution to the feast and off we went. The house we went to belongs to the physician, his wife, their kids and their horses. :) They have about 13 acres and 5 horses. And so I spent the afternoon with 4 other women riding horses. I hadn't been on a horse in 20 years. I came to realize a couple of things as we got close to the barn....first, horses are a lot bigger than I remembered them to be and second, I am not as brave as I was when I was 17 or 18. I was nervous as all hell. I got on the back of this beautiful horse named "Kid" who is, in horse height speak, "15 hands tall" and I felt like if I fell off this thing it was gonna hurt. But I didn't want to chicken out, so I was a good sport about it. Once I got used to it we rode around for about 2 hours. And it was a BEAUTIFUL day. It must have gotten up to 60 degrees outside. I couldn't get the smile off my face.

When we were done riding, we went inside and had our fill of traditional Thanksgiving feast. I left feeling fat, dumb and happy. Life is good. My friends' other half was there and he took a bunch of pictures of our horse riding excursion. I'll post them as soon as I get them. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments: