Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Goin' to the chapel...yo

Not me of course.  I would never go to the chapel for the purpose of getting married.  However, my oldest friend, Cindi, sure did.   I just returned from her wedding in NY.  It was really amazing.  A wedding right out of "The Sopranos".   Aside from the fact that the wedding took place on the first night of Hanukkah and was a full Catholic Mass ceremony which was ironic only to my Jewish ass, it was truly something wonderful.  For several reasons...

To begin with, I was a first time bridesmaid.  All kinds of cool stuff comes along with that.  We get to wear really beautiful dresses (although I am told that we lucked out and that most bridesmaid dresses are these lacy, poofy, taffeta numbers that no person who isn't a pre-op transexual would be caught dead in), we get to ride in the limo, just us girls and the bride!  Although the limo, in this case, was a stretch Ford Explorer, and we get to sit in the 'bride room' during the cocktail hour portion of the reception and get fed and liquored up by a private wait staff.  I tanked on Shirley Temple's.  Bring on the grenadene and marachino cherries!

If I forgot someone's name during the course of the week, all i had to do was shout out "Joey" "Tony" "Anthony" "Johnny" or "Bruno" and I was bound to be right.  Italian Catholic wedding.  Being that the wedding took place in my home town in NY, i found myself wondering on many occasions if I ever sounded like that when I spoke?  Ay yo. Yo ay.  I was laughing most of the time which was really great, and when I wasn't laughing, I was scarfing on the best Italian food in life. 

Overall the trip was a great success.  I suppose that this means I need to learn how to spell Cindi's new last name.  It's some Italian number that starts with an "M" and ends with an "i".  You'd think that since her and her now husband have been together for almost 8 years that I would have tried to figure that part out sooner.  Who knew?

Here are some pictures! 

No comments: