Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hilton's and other things that should stick to Hotels

I am listening to one of the local top-40 radio stations.  The reception I get isn't very good, so when I sort-of heard the main melody of the song that was starting, an older song popped into my brain and I started humming along happily thinking, wow, I haven't heard this song in forever!  The song I am talking about is "Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder.  It came out sometime in the mid eighties, I think.  I loved that song. I found it very surprising that it was being played on this radio station since they only play current top 40 music.

About 45 seconds or so into it, I thought I heard a female voice, and knew that it couldn't possibly be "Break My Stride".  Matthew Wilder has clearly a male voice and this was clearly a female voice.  So here I am, picking up my little clock radio, waving it around the office trying to find a pocket of reception clear enough to decipher exactly what I was listening to.  With one foot on my desk, a hand on my chair, and the hand holding the radio straight up in the air,  I was able to listen to the rest of the song.  The DJ comes on and says that it was Paris Hilton with her new song "Stars are Blind".  Mortifying, to say the least.  I won't go into my whole schpeel here about Paris Hilton because, one, she's not worth the physical exertion of typing it, but most importantly, my point is not Paris Hilton, but the song itself.  I was able to almost completely sing "Break My Stride" along to the base melody of "Stars Are Blind". 

I remember something similar happening in the eighties with the song "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr., and "I Want A New Drug" by Huey Lewis and the News. I heard the similarity almost immedieatly after heaing "Ghostbusters" the first time.  Later on I believe there was even a lawsuit brought on by Huey Lewis against Ray Parker Jr. for stealing his song.  I could be wrong, after all the reception really stinks in my office.  But if anyone else knows Break My Stride and has heard Stars are Blind, listen for it.  It sure sounds like the same melody to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Michelle tell you that I heard that song on the radio recently. I called her cell phone and put my cell near the radio so it would play on her messages.

For some reason, that song really reminds me of her. How strange that we are all on the same wavelength.

Speaking of our dear sister, I'll have to tell you all about our visit.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I am glad you wrote that comment!  I have been meaning to update this entry.  Every time I hear that song now, although it still reminds me of "Break My Stride", I am very clearly hearing that song "The Tide Is High" by Blondie.  That is probably why it reminds you our sister Michele.  For some reason, Blondie songs always remind me of her.