Wednesday, June 21, 2006

That's FIRST lieutenant, thank you!

So last week, after a long two years, I finally put on the rank of 1st Lieutenant!  I realize that it's automatic to go from 2nd Lt to 1st, but I don't care!  It's a big deal to me!  And I had one of the best promotion ceremonies ever, if i may be so bold as to make that claim. 

My brother, Chuck (in the picture with me) is also active duty, he is a doctor (a Radiologist) in the Army stationed in Tacoma, WA.  He's a Major Promotable.  For those who are rank-knowlege impaired, that means that he has a line number to put on Lieutenant Colonel even though he is still wearing the Major rank.  Why explain all this, you ask?  Because as a senior ranking officer he has the authority to officiate the ceremony of my promotion.  And boy did he ever!  I, of course, am in Louisiana.  Quite the hike from Tacoma!  But he made the trip, midweek at that, for the sole purpose of officiating my promotion ceremony.  It was even cooler because he was the only person wearing a green uniform in a sea of blue.  Hee hee! 

The woman in the picture, pinning on my rank along with Chuck is Wendy.  She is my closest friend here in Louisiana.  

So enjoy the pictures and remember, when you call me Lieutenant now, you have to mean it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just now getting around to looking at your blog. Cool pictures! I had a great time.

One question - you called it the "Oath of Enlistment." Shouldn't you mean Oath of Office? Was this a flashback to your enlisted days?

Anonymous said...

Ah, grasshopper...while your question did, for a moment, cause me to pause and physically go check the little laminated card, it is actually still called the "Oath of Enlistment" and it is taken as an officer or as an enlisted person.  Whether or not one is enlisted or an officer in terms of rank, has nothing to do with the fact that we all "enlisted" in the military.   Like being in the Air Force makes me an "Airman", even though as an officer, I will never carry the rank of "Airman Basic" through "Senior Airman" (E-1 through E-4).  By merely having signed on the dotted line, I have both "enlisted" in the air force and carry the title of "Airman".  :)  But it's a good catch!  You detail people make me tired...