Sunday, January 30, 2005

Back to normal...sort of

When I started this journal, I was at the begining of a tremendous life change.  I was changing careers, cities, and my life as I had come to know and enjoy it.  I had worked very hard to create the life I lived back in South Florida, and I was content with it.  (Obviously not TOO content or I wouldn't have searched out new and exciting things, right?)

So I have been here in Bossier City, LA for just about 2 months now.  If you put together the total time it has been since I left Florida for the Air Force, it has been closer to 5 and a half months.  In that time, I have had some tremendous experiences and met some extrordinary people.  But now, I find that I am reaching for some sense of routine.  Not that I am necessiarly looking for the life I left behind, because the life I have now is just fine, thank you very much, but I am looking for that sense of familiarity and I find it seems to be more difficult to locate than I had expeceted. 

I suppose the reason why it feels that way only now, and not over the entire 5 months, is because I was prepared for several months of change and movement.  Now, I am here and settled, at least for the next 3 years or so, and to be honest, I think I am experiencing a bit of culture shock.  Bossier City is a far cry from South Florida.  That there are no Bloomingdales or Nordstroms here for me to shop in is one thing.  I can always drive the 3 hours to Dallas to find some decent stores/shopping.  But that aside, the entire culture here is different.  The people move slower, and are more easy going.  There is nothing wrong with that.  As a matter of fact, I find it to be a nice change of pace.  On the other hand, I went to a local Albertson's this evening for some Starbucks hot cocoa (yes, there IS a Starbucks) and when I got in my car to leave, I noticed not one, not two, but three different sets of people getting out of three sets of cars and every one of them spit upon exiting their vehicles. Females included.  I was mortified.  I felt like I was watching a Jeff Foxworthy skit come to life.  Once I got over myself, I actually had to laugh.   I found myself being very thankful that this is only a temporary stop in my life!  

On the other hand, as I suppose with the bad, thereis always some good,  I listen to the radio in the morning on the way into work, and the traffic report always says something pretty close to the following:   "Good morning, Shreveport/Bossier! There are no accidents to report and the roads are all clear, but if ya'll see something, go on and give us a call!"  I gotta tell you, I LOVE THAT!  My commute in south Florida was nothing but an hour and 15 minutes of accidents, bumper to bumper traffic and road rage.  This is a welcome change from that. 

I am sure that as time goes on, I will find I am able to work around those things that I am not used to.   I may even learn how to live like some of the locals do.  Adopt some of the local customs for myself.   But I don't expect I will start sptting when I get out of my car any time soon. 

No comments: