Saturday, September 8, 2012

Fighting my obesity one step at at time...


A couple of posts ago, I was at a real low point in my efforts to lose weight.  I really felt like I was doing everything right and then some, but seeing zero results.  I increased my activity level by over a 1/3, and have been doing my workouts 9x per week.  40-45 minutes 5x per week and 40-45 minutes twice per day on Saturday and Sunday.   I’ve been doing this for two months and have lost a grand total of 1 pound.  And even that one pound is questionable.  Today the scale informed me that it was actually only ½ a pound.   On the bright side, I haven’t GAINED any more weight.   So there’s that.

Still, I bought the Fitbit which is basically a pedometer on crack, and it has really been key to keeping me honest and motivated.  I enjoy the progress and the little badges you earn for your workouts.   Between that and tracking my entire food intake on myfitnesspal.com, I know eventually this is going to work for me.  It just HAS to.  I never really ate poorly so food has never really been a battle.  Even so, I had been making an effort to eat even better.

I say all that to say this…this past Friday I had my annual PHA.   For those of you not in the military this is the annual physical that the military makes you do.  I was quite tickled at the results of my blood work.  My total cholesterol went down over 40 points, my triglycerides went down SIXTY points, and my vitamin D levels were back into the normal range for the first time in 5 years (only by 5 points but normal is normal dammit!)  Obviously I am doing SOMETHING right.  It’s been very difficult to work this hard and see no outwardly result for my effort.  But knowing that it’s doing me some good, even if it’s only on the inside, makes me happy. 

He did scold me about my weight though.  The funny thing about that whole discussion was that when he looked at my chart, he said, well, for your height you are at exactly where you need to be weight-wise.  Uh…what?   I said, um…doc, I’m obese.  He argued with me and said, nope, “…at 5 ‘ 7” you should be right at the 135 mark which is where you are.”  Now I KNOW this man looked at me, cause I was lookin’ at him when he was lookin’ at me.   But he was reading the chart and mistakenly thought that the chart said I was 5 foot 7 inches tall when in fact my height was just written out in inches which, in my case, is 57 inches.  He said, “oh, you’re right.  For your height you should really be less than 100 pounds.”   I’m not sure I completely agree with THAT number.  Unless of course I was 11 years old (the height of the average 11 year old American girl is my height).   I mean, really…my chest alone has to weigh 10 pounds.  To be honest, when I weigh 115 I’m smokin’ hot.    Methinks he didn’t account for the fact that I am an adult.

All that aside, I’m a hefty little fatty, and as hard as it is proving to go from the “obese” category into the “overweight” category, it’s an even LONGER journey from the “overweight” category into the “normal” weight category.   Eventually I’m going to get there though.  Me, my fitbit, and my lower cholesterol.  Yeeha.

3 comments:

The NL Wife said...

Do you remember the time they did my bloodwork and mixed up my height thing - and entered 5'8" as 58 inches, and the woman told me my BMI was over 30 which was obese . . . and I had to pick my jaw up off the floor???

Sis, worry less about the "weight" and focus on those positive increments in your other indicators. As I get older, I value those numbers going in the right direction more than I do the scale. Stay healthy!!

PS - just rode my bike to Safeway to pick up peppers for stuffing. I'm down calories before dinner is on the table!

The Sister said...

I hear ya. I love that the numbers that ultimately matter are going in the right direction. And in all reality, I am way more concerned with how my clothes fit than the number on the scale. In that regard, my pants have been feeling a smidge looser...

I, too, love living somewhere that we can walk all over the place (or ride our bikes). It makes me feel less guilty for enjoying dinner!

Maura said...

I totally agree with Michelle -- the number on the scale only tells some of the story and you can't let it dictate your sense of progress.

To me, the triglycerides and cholesterol is a MUCH better indicator of success so congrats on that! I don't care what BMI chart in the world someone is using, what's going on inside your veins is at least as important as weight.

You're doing everything right. Enjoy your good and improving health and let the number take care of itself.

Yay Team Fitbit! :-)