Saturday, December 11, 2010

A night out!

Last night I had to opportunity to eat out at a restaurant. The place is called Monal and it is located 3900 feet up in the Margalla Hills in Pakistan. It is the largest restaurant in the country and the scariest drive I have ever been on.

Growing up in NY, there was a place in New Paltz that took you though some mountain roads as you went up towards Kerhonkson. There was one spot in particular that had a hairpin turn. Used to be a test of driving skills to make your way up. Then I got here.

The almost 4,000 foot drive up the mountain was like the hairpin turn of New Paltz on crack. I had to pop my ears about 7 different times, and I believe that I came close to heart failure at several points along the way (both up and down the mountain). To say nothing of the wild boars, monkeys (yes, monkeys), and foxes running in the road.

When we finally arrived at Molan, and got past the guards with automatic rifles, it took my breath away. It was the most beautiful restaurant I had ever been too. It was almost completely outdoors and we chose to sit at the farthest edge of the seating area with a spectacular view of Islamabad at night.

The food was excellent. I had a chicken spinach crepe dish that was scrumptious. As the night went on, we were all quite cold, even though they had fire lamp heaters at our table. So once we were done with eating, we were pretty eager to get to the warmth of our vehicle. Personally I spent the walk to the car mentally preparing myself for the journey back down the mountain. Eeek! My hands were sweaty even before we were half way down. hee hee!

I wish I had some pictures for you, but it was dark outside and I didn't bring my camera. We do intend to go there again at some point and I will take my camera for sure when we do. You could probably google some pictures of the place too.

2 comments:

DrChako said...

Great story. Were you driving?

I totally remember that turn in NP.

-Yer brudder

The Sister said...

Oh hell no, I wasn't driving. I haven't driven yet. They drive on the left, first of all, and that is the only 'rule' of the road around here. There really aren't lanes or any semblance of order when it comes to driving. I just haven't had the, shall we say, ...testicular fortitude...to get behind the wheel yet. The other day, I saw 5 (yes, FIVE), people on a little motorcycle. This included a man, woman, and 3 children. Two of which were younger than 4 and in each arm of the mother. I saw an accident the other day (one of MANY observed during my first 7 days so far) and there was a cop driving up. Figured he would at least stop. Nope. Just drove right on by. There are no rules-of-the road here. It is absolutely terrifying on these packed, narrow, over crowded, city streets.