Monday, July 12, 2010

The Dream of Independence

For my entire life I have worked. I have worked FOR someone since I was 12 years old. Forever dependent on someone else to pay my salary so that I can live in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed. And love my life, I do.

I grew up with a father who was determined to be his own boss. As someone who worked for him, I saw the struggles which never seemed to end. I did the bookkeeping for his plastics/decorating business starting when I was, as I said earlier, 12 years old. Even at that young age, I had a grasp on how hard it was for him to make ends meet. His business was a tough one. His product didn't sell itself by any stretch of the imagination. It was a constant struggle for sales. Cold calls, long hours, zero benefit. As a result, I always swore I would never go into business for myself. I knew very early on that I was NOT a salesman. I knew that I could never work at a job that was straight commission. Hell, I didn't even want to work in a job that was PART commission. I have a fear of being without a paycheck. As such, I had sort of resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to be someone else's bitch for the rest of my life. Good enough. Or was it?

The older I get, the more I realize that working FOR someone sucks. A lot. I have always been independent, and I resent the fact that I am dependent on someone else for my money.

A couple of years ago I made a decision that once I am out of the military I will never work for anyone again. I (we) will own our own business, be it a franchise or something else. It has changed my perspective. Sometimes, when I am having a lousy day at work, and I think about throwing in the military towel, I remember my promise to myself never to work for anyone again. It makes me smile, but it also keeps me grounded. I can't just leave the military because I can't afford to (resentment enters here). I will not do it until I can fulfill the promise to myself to never work for someone else again. But it is going to take nine more years until I will be able to get out with a full retirement and benefits for the rest of my life. THEN, when I buy our franchise or whatever else it may be, and I fail miserably, I will still have a paycheck to fall back on. But I won't be dependent on someone else. Ever again.

3 comments:

DrChako said...

Well, you'll be beholden to your investors (me), but other than that I'm totally with you. ;-)

Dad talked a lot about how much you helped him with the business. It's probably not an exaggeration to say he couldn't have done it without you. I worked for him too, but only to do some lifting and some basic upholstery. He tried really hard to teach me the trade, but he didn't seem too disappointed that I would rather be a doctor.

In about 9 months, I'll be given the opportunity to buy into my practice. Then 20 employees will rely on me for their paycheck. When I think about all the business and regulatory things that are looming with that decision, I will admit to being intimidated. That said, I'm buying into an already successful practice. That goes a long way to easing my stress. I imagine it's similar to buying into a successful franchise.

So, you're really going to wait to finish your 20 eh?

The Sister said...

Ha ha! Beholden to my investors, huh?

We are both hoping that buying into a successful franchise will be the way to go. Pretty cool that I found someone else with the same desire to own a business/franchise as me.

I have some wonderful memories of working for dad. Yes, even getting fired makes for a great story (he hired me back eventually, but still).

While I don't feel an overwhelming happiness at staying for the full 20, truth is, I only have a little over 9 years left to make that happen. Maybe it's a woman-thing, but I cannot see myself starting a business with no income from other sources. After all, I don't own my rental property outright so it doesn't generate income for me at this point. :)

Someday I hope to be successful under my/our own power. Since Eric is a pilot he will always have to fall back on. I cannot say the same thing. So the military retirement will be my safety net/contribution to our success! Woot!

The Sister said...

Oh...and do you think that you will want to buy into the practice 9 months from now? That is quite a commitment, no?