Sunday, August 28, 2005

A leave cut short!

I was very excited to go on leave last week.  It was my first leave since I came back into the Air Force a year ago.  I went home to South Florida.  It was wonderful eating real food again.  Of course, to me, real food means deli (corned beef, nova on a bagel with cream cheese, etc.) as well as some yummy bakery goods.  Black and white cookies, rugaluch, halavah, etc.  Here, they have never even heard of these things.  They think Krispy Kreme is the creme bruele of the buyou. 

So I got my fill, and then on Wednesday, this little tropical storm, Katrina, formed in the Bahamas.  Much to my dismay, Katrina began to come on shore at my dad's house where I was staying in Delray Beach.  I made a decision after the first feeder band hit to leave right then and drive back to Bossier City.  Who knew that my timing would be perfect?  If I had waited, i wouldn't have gotten home until sometime next week.  All was not lost though, as I had an awesome time and enjoyed the visit with my family. 

So it's back to work for me tomorrow.  Although, i did work some this past saturday just so I wouldn't be so overwhelmed with work when i go back tomorrow. 

On another note, I am dog sitting for one of my co-workers.  Sam, their dog, is a really huge black lab.  He is only 2 years old so his paws and head still look to big for his body.  He and my Macy seem to get along.  More like sibblings who squable occasionally.  When it gets to loud, they both get the boot out the door.  Two big dogs and little ol' me.  What a concept.  It's going to be an interesting week.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOOH... nova! Funny... that's the very first thing I did when I went home on leave in Feb! There are NO Jewish delis in south TX either.
Been watching Katrina all week too. My dad lost power and my aunt's house (south Dade) got a bit of flooding, but they're all ok.

I'm terrified of what this thing is gonna do now. I'm praying for everyone on the Gulf Coast.  Stay dry and email me sometime. I'd like to see how you're doing.


Regina
regina.tow@lackland.af.mil